Eastbourne’s historic Town Hall Clock Tower has been restored following a 16-week programme valued at £200,000.

The specialist work was commissioned by Eastbourne Borough Council and awarded to Colbran & Wingrove.

The programme extended from masonry and brickwork repairs, including extensive lime repointing, to joinery and glazing repairs, internal rainwater works, roofing repairs and redecoration.

It was managed and carried out by our team with specialist skills brought in as required. An example being Tilleys Stonemasons who worked on repairs to the Portland stone which forms the Tower.

For the duration of the project, it was necessary for the bell to be silenced to protect everyone working on the Tower. The clock has gone silent only a handful of times in its history for repairs and restoration, including in 1919, 1934 and 1948. Now, with only two specialist firms remaining in the UK who are able to re-set the chime, Eastbourne must wait for the time being until its chimes can be reinstated.

Alan Wetton, Building Surveyor, Property & Development from Lewes District & Eastbourne Borough Councils commented, “All the guys worked really well with the on-site staff and it’s just been a real pleasure to be involved in the project.”

According to Russell Colbran, managing director of Colbran & Wingrove, “We were delighted to be awarded this contract. To play a small part in the preservation of one of our town’s most iconic landmarks is really special. The work that has been carried out was vital to protect this part of the 130-year old Grade II listed building for generations to come.”

Eastbourne Town Hall History

The Town Hall is a Grade II listed building and was designed by the architect W.Tadman-Foulkes in 1880.

The site on which the Town Hall was built was known as Stocks Bank, a nod to the stocks that once stood there.

Local builder James Peerless was chosen for the build, with construction starting in 1884 at the laying of the foundation stone by Lord Edward Cavendish. Opening in 1886, the Town Hall remained without a clock until 1892 when Messrs. Gillett and Johnston were tasked with installing a clock in the 130 ft high clock tower.