A motorcyclist has been jailed and five others have also appeared in court after a convoy of vehicles was seen riding antisocially in Sussex.

The group of about 80 riders were seen going along the A22 between Maresfield and Lower Dicker on March 28 this year.

Police received multiple calls from concerned members of the public and other road users about dangerous riding taking place.

Specialist officers from the Surrey and Sussex Roads Policing Unit (RPU), the Specialist Enforcement Unit (SEU) and divisional officers were needed to monitor the group, and the National Police Air Service helicopter was also sent.

Vehicle tactics were used to stop the main offenders and four riders were arrested, two of whom had attempted to flee. Seven motorcycles were also seized.

RPU officer PC Jordan Mitchell, investigating, said more than 100 hours of footage had to be reviewed to ensure the worst offenders were identified as part of Operation Favour.

This autumn, riders have appeared in court for a variety of offences, including 27-year-old Ilyaas Bernasko, of St Paul’s Road, Islington.

He was seen riding on the wrong side of the road, forcing oncoming traffic to have to brake and take evasive action to avoid a collision.

Footage recorded by NPAS, RPU officers and the riders themselves also showed him riding at excessive speed, mounting a pavement to get through traffic, and using his mobile phone while riding.

He was carrying a pillion passenger on his motorbike, and when it was stopped he attempted to run from the police.

Bernasko was arrested and charged with dangerous driving, driving while disqualified, and driving without valid insurance.

He was in breach of a suspended sentence imposed at Snaresbrook Crown Court in December 2019 for dangerous driving, when he was also given the two-year driving ban.

At Chichester Crown Court on October 14 he changed his plea to guilty for dangerous driving and admitted the offences.

Bernasko was sentenced to one year in prison, and was given a further disqualification from driving for three years.

Meanwhile Robbie Frampton, 22, of Fryers Lane to Dorchester Road, Nether Cerne, Dorset, appeared before Lewes Crown Court on November 4 where he admitted dangerous driving.

He was seen going through a red light traffic signal, then failed to stop for police, travelling at excessive speed and overtaking vehicles dangerously.

At interview, Frampton claimed when police flagged him down he “panicked” and tried to evade officers.

The court ordered him to complete 200 hours of unpaid work and 30 rehabilitation activity requirement sessions with the probation service. He must also pay £250 court costs and a £95 victim surcharge and was disqualified from driving for 18 months.

Other riders were also named in court for offences. These included Harry Salsbury, 19, of Reigate Road, Reigate, Surrey, who admitted failing to comply with a traffic signal.

At Brighton Magistrates’ Court on November 3 he was ordered to pay a £40 fine, a £34 victim surcharge and £90 costs. His licence was endorsed with three penalty points.

Jay Smith, 21, of View Terrace, Dormansland, Surrey, admitted the same offence of failing to comply with a traffic signal. At Brighton Magistrates’ Court on October 7 he was fined £220 and told to pay a £34 victim surcharge, and £90 costs. Three points were added to his licence.

Jesse Wells, 18, of Christianfields, Gravesend, Kent, admitted failing to comply with road markings by crossing a solid white line when he appeared at Hastings Magistrates’ Court on October 11. He was ordered to pay an £35 fine, a £22 victim surcharge and £85 costs. Three points were added to his licence.

A 17-year-old youth, who cannot be identified for legal reasons, is due to appear in court on February 17 next year for sentencing, having pleaded guilty to the offences of dangerous driving, driving without insurance, and driving otherwise than in accordance with a licence.

Speaking after the cases, PC Mitchell said: “This was a complex investigation to identify multiple offenders who put other road users and themselves at risk by riding dangerously on our roads.

“I am pleased that dangerous riders have been taken off our roads.”

RPU Chief Inspector Michael Hodder said: “The majority of motorcyclists who ride around Sussex do so in a sensible manner, however there are a still a minority of bikers who believe it is safe and socially acceptable to ride like our roads are a race track and continue to give no consideration to their own or other peoples’ safety.

“This behaviour will not be tolerated and we will continue to robustly deal with those that flout the law and cause misery to our local community

“The safety of our communities is paramount and working with our local policing colleagues and partners, we will use all available tactics to take these riders and their bikes off our streets.”