THE amazing Willingdon community has rallied round to help a family after their roof caught alight in Broad Road on Friday afternoon.

The roof of the house was alight and at the height of the incident 6 fire engines were in attendance along with an aerial ladder platform.

One person was treated for smoke inhalation and went to hospital.

The posts on social media have been so supportive.

Jess Mckeown posted: “Sadly this is our family home. luckily everyone is healthy and unharmed, thank you for this support on behalf of my family, it’s overwhelming.

“Everyone is okay, this support is amazing to see thank you so much on behalf of my family.”

Neighbours have offered to do collections, donate bed linen and anything that the family may need.